11.20.2009

Vinography Images: One Berry

vinography_desktop_one_berry.jpg

One Berry
The first time I tasted a Cabernet grape I was surprised at how unlike Cabernet wine it tasted. Some of the flavor lies in that bright leathery surface that Andy captures here so well in vivid blue. Grape skins hold many different volatile aroma compounds (some of which are also found in the juicy flesh of the berry) that contribute to the flavors of the wine. Just biting into a ripe berry isn't quite the same as tasting that same berry in a bottle three years later. They still taste pretty damn good, though. -- Alder Yarrow

INSTRUCTIONS:
Download this image by right-clicking on the image and selecting "save link as" or "save target as" and then select the desired location on your computer to save the image. Mac users can also just click the image to open the full size view and drag that to their desktops.

To set the image as your desktop wallpaper, Mac users should follow these instructions, while PC users should follow these.

PRINTS:
If you are interested in owning an archive quality, limited edition print of this image please contact photographer Andy Katz through his web site.

ABOUT VINOGRAPHY IMAGES:
Vinography regularly features images by photographer Andy Katz for readers' personal use as desktop backgrounds or screen savers. We hope you enjoy them. Please respect the copyright on these images.

11.21.09 at 10:19 AM

Berry nice!

Josh wrote:
11.21.09 at 9:17 PM

I've tried a merlot berry before and wow, wasn't anything like what I expected. I think it would be an interresting article to get several side by side and do a taste test.

Greg wrote:
11.21.09 at 10:42 PM

Plenty of people claim to be able to judge ripeness and quality by tasting the fruit, I don't quite believe it myself or if true it must take a lot of experience.

Dylan wrote:
11.22.09 at 4:37 PM

I agree. I was awe-struck from the first time I bit into one of our Cabernet grapes. Mind you, this was the first non-table grape I had ever consumed. The difference in flavor was immense.

11.23.09 at 10:30 AM

I find that in tasting grapes before harvest, the level of sweetness is a key factor. The the balance of this sugar with the acidity. then last, chewing the skins to see if the tannins are ripe and sweet, or dry and harsh. The last step - check the seed color. If its very green, then the grapes are a ways away. If they are dark brown, they are quite ripe.

08.24.14 at 5:49 PM

Hi there! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog.

Is it hard to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast.
I'm thinking about setting up my own but I'm not sure where to start.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Many thanks

08.26.14 at 3:24 AM

Pretty! This has been an incredibly wonderful post. Many thanks for supplying
this info.

08.31.14 at 2:22 PM

Aw, this was an exceptionally good post. Taking
a few minutes and actual effort to generate a top notch article… but
what can I say… I procrastinate a whole lot and never seem to get anything done.

Earthquake Rattles Napa Harvest NIMBY Versus Vineyard in Malibu Vinography Images: Precious Droplets MORIC: The Apogee of Blaufränkisch 2014 Sonoma Wine Country Weekend: August 29-21, Healdsburg, CA The (Still) Dismal State of California Chardonnay What a Way to Go: Wine At the End of Your Life Vinography Images: Into the Tank 72 Pinot Noirs on a Sunny Afternoon: Tasting at IPNC 2014 The Great White South: An Introduction to Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc